Hello everyone! This blog has been created by Irene Giannitsi who is a teacher of English at the Senior High School of Konitsa. Anyone interested in learning about the school’s projects and activities the students are taking part in, is more than welcome. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

A refugee's story by Eugenia Pantou

 A refugee's Story

 



We had been on the boat for many hours. For a big journey without destination, without a way back. No, this isn’t another story like those we read in books.

  I was alone on this travel. A child alone. Without parents, siblings, or someone to hold my hand. Without knowing if they are alive, or they were well. I lost them in the big explosion in the town where we lived.

  We were crowded and we were trying to remain in the boat, most of us without a lifejacket. The sea was blowing and the waves were high and staving.  People were trying to hide up in the boat. Some of them never came back. I closed my eyes from fear in every scream of them.

  So the days had passed. Until we finally found land. The boat went into the beach. It is important that only half of the three hundred refugees finally made it. We were hungry and exhausted. We spend the night there. After a lot of days, we managed to sleep for a while.

  The next day our arrival was known in the unknown land. The rescuers found us and took us to a camp. After that, I and other kids, who had no parents, relocated to a reception center for unaccompanied children.

  Since then I have been living here. They treat us very well. They protect us and they help us to learn the local language. I also love my new friends. But I miss something. My family, my home, my life before.

 Nuri is one of the many refugee kids without family who came to Europe because of a war. Really, do we all live in the same world?

1 comment:

  1. Your story is really touching and beautifully written. It also handles the topic of whether we all live in the same world in a bright way at the end of the narration. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete