Hello everyone! This blog has been created by Irene Giannitsi who is a teacher of English at the Senior High School of Konitsa. Anyone interested in learning about the school’s projects and activities the students are taking part in, is more than welcome. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, November 15, 2021

The story of a migrant, my dad!

 The story of a migrant, my dad!


I am Kleopatra Poritsi and I live in Konitsa, Greece. I am 16 years old, a student of the second year of high school and I am a columnist of our online newspaper at school. We have decided to write some stories of refugees or migrants in order to sensitize the local community about this delicate issue. The following text is an interview I took from my father who is a migrant, who left his country Albania and came to Greece.


K: - Hey dad, I'm here today because I wanted to write a story of a refugee or a migrant on our school newspaper. And I decided to write yours. You are a migrant right?


D: - Yes I am a migrant who left Albania and came to Greece a long time ago.


K: - Why did you do that? What was your goal?


D: - My family was poor and as a kid I was forfeited a lot of things . So that's why I wanted to go to Greece, to have a better future and life.

But many people told us that in Greece the residents didn't have any money, they had nothing to eat and they didn't have a normal life. They told us those things because they didn't want us to leave Albania.


K: - And you didn't believe them ?


D: - I didn't know what to believe and what not to, so on March 13th 1990, when I was only 15 years old, I dropped out school and I decided to go to Kastoria in Greece and see what the situation was actually like there.


K: - Ultimately what was it like?


D: - None of what they had told us was true. Afterwards I went back home and informed my parents that they were lying to us.


K: - Then what happened?


D: - In 1992, I went again to Greece, in Rethimno, Crete and worked there for a daily wage , of course illegaly. But unfortunately after 3 months I got caught by the police and I was forced to go back to Albania.


K: - And after that what did you do?


D: - In 1994, I came to Kalithea, which is a village near Konitsa and worked there until 1998. Then, I finally submitted my papers for legal residence in Greece.


K: - Then I guess you met mom, right?


D: - Yes right! I met your mom, we got married in Albania and we had your sister. Meanwhile I worked in Greece and I constantly came and went to Albania . After 3 years we eventually decided to come and live permanently in Konitsa, and in 2005 we had you.


K: - And what about now? Have you reached your goal?


D: - I absolutely have. First of all I have a wonderful and happy family which is the most important for me. Beyond that, I have managed to build my own house here in Konitsa and I have a stable work. For me this is enough. I have accomplished everything I wanted and now I am living a happy life.


K: - This is a really interesting story dad and I am so happy and proud of you.

What would be an advice you could give to all the people that are reading this?


D: - I always say that no matter what happens, with hard work and effort everyone can achieve everything they desire, despite the difficulties. You should never give up but try for the best and make your dreams come true.


K: I undoubtedly agree with you.

Thank you for your time, dad, and thank you for sharing your story with us. 

1 comment: